Ranting with Rachel

Saturday, August 20, 2011

We've got News! ... or not.

We don't have many opportunities to make announcements. We live a simple life with not a lot of changes from day to day. However, when we do have news, we rarely get to share it with all the people we would like to because someone else has already made that announcement. When I found out I was pregnant, one of the first people I told (other than Adam of course) was my best friend. Out of habit of not getting to share our news when I wanted to, I asked her not to share with anyone other than her husband. Her response was something along the lines of 'I don't share other people's news.' I wish more people would do the same. For example: when I was pregnant the first time, I told a woman and then she announced it to a whole room of people that I was pregnant a few days later. It was a little embarrassing considering I didn't feel like my pregnancy was to the 'safe' point and I didn't know these people.

I don't mean to 'throw anyone under the bus' here, but it is very common for this to happen with a couple family members. We sometimes joke that my mother-in-law and sister-in-law are the same person. We have called them Jeanemily (Jen- Em- ily). If you tell one of them, the other one will know. Adam wanted to surprise me for the location of our honeymoon. I told him a couple places I'd love to go, but he was more than welcome to make the final decision. I had been with him when we picked up several brochures for resorts and I saw them a few days later on my mother's-in-law counter. I pointed to one and had said that it was probably my favorite out of the ones we had looked at and she said something like 'Oh, isn't that where you're going?' Adam was standing right there, and thankfully she was wrong.

Anyhow, my point its, it's really annoying not getting to make your own announcements. I understand being excited for someone, but if you spill the beans before that said person can announce it, it makes the person you told feel like they weren't important enough to hear it from the rightful person. Or as in the example of the surprise honeymoon location, it is no longer a surprise. So please, be like my best friend and don't announce other people's news.

4 Comments:

  • At August 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM , Blogger Caryn Allen said...

    Yeah...that happened to me when I got engaged. Well, we weren't even officially engaged yet. We had set a day...etc etc...but I didn't have a ring on my finger yet and someone (who shall remain nameless!) blabbed to everyone instead of letting me tell! So yeah, I totally understand how you're feeling about this!

     
  • At August 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM , Blogger The Roes said...

    In addition to what you said, I hate it when you tell a story about someone and the name isn't important and people automatically ask "WHO??" even after you say you won't mention their name.

     
  • At August 21, 2011 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Danny and Laura said...

    So I guess the woman mentioned doesn't read this blog. Hopefully you aren't ranting about this because it happened again.
    On another note, I finally read the Hiding Place. I finished it last night. I can't believe a book could make me so sad and happy at the same time. Thanks for the recommendation.

     
  • At August 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM , Blogger The Roes said...

    I honestly don't know who reads this, but nobody is blocked. =) Like I said in the beginning, I may offend someone. I try very hard to keep those things as true to the event to avoid someone being offended. However, I feel that if someone is going to be offended by something they do, that's their problem...not mine.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home