Ranting with Rachel

Friday, September 2, 2011

What's Happening to the English Language

I seem to be hearing more frequently about 'words' being added to the dictionary. I'm not opposed to changes and additions, however, I am opposed to words that are not real. I also hate reading conversations where people have purposely misspelled words to 'look' or 'sound' cool. For whatever reason, this does not bother me with younger people, as it is still acceptable for them to be silly like that. If you are 18 or older, speak your age. Also, write like you speak. I remember in high school people questioned whether a teacher would be able to catch them plagiarizing, because "there wasn't enough time for her/him to check all the sources for all the papers." Okay, so this is totally wrong. A teacher will be able to know if you plagiarized simply by the change of writing style and types of words you use.
The other day I saw someone in their mid-30s had written on facebook, "True dat." Seriously? Do you say "true dat" in every day conversation? Is "dat" in the dictionary? There are so many others that are out there, it's too many to list. You get the idea.
I also cannot stand when people write things they wouldn't or couldn't say. Such as: 'Arg.' Again...SERIOUSLY? Are you a pirate? Sure, Charley Brown said arg on a regular basis, but not you! You're not a comic strip! Then there's the 'words' from texting and chatting. I can handle LOL, because someone might literally "laugh out loud," however "ROFL" is obnoxious. Did you really "roll on the floor laughing?" Along with all the ones where someone 'laughs' a body part off. Really??? Is that even possible?
Another one that really gets me is when people change a syllable in a word. Again, this is someone who should be grown up and speaking like one, and he says "Bar-b-chew." Or "beer of the root" for root beer. It really does drive me bonkers!
Using all the different styles of language that we hear today is obnoxious. Once you get away from ebonics, you run into redneck. Why can't people speak the way they were taught. Okay, so that's a bad idea. I know people who say "warsh, West-consin, Ore-Gone, zi-On". So maybe we need to take a look at how we are supposed to pronounce words and actually do it.

3 Comments:

  • At September 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Danny and Laura said...

    I went to a metting with Alyssa's teacher the other night and she was introducing us the the phonics that they will be teaching in the classroom. They have these flashcards that we are supposed to buy in order to teach her at home($25 by the way- ridiculous). Anyways, she was giving us an example of the "A" flashcard which has 4 different sounds. Then she went on to tell us how the 4th sound won't be taught in their classroom because no one uses it in the west. I thought to myself, "Really? They can't even teach the same phonics uniformally throughout the US?"
    Anyways, I totally agree with you.

     
  • At September 3, 2011 at 10:11 PM , Blogger Boyd Box said...

    Okay, I hope you read your post out loud because I just had a SNORT-laugh! Seriously! Then, when I read it out loud to Eric, I couldn't stop the snort-laughs! It was too funny!! Oh, I love you!!
    And Laura, that IS ridiculous...both the price AND the refusal to teach the other sound. Oh, the joys of school! I guess here they'd have to say that they are throwing out a lot of the sounds b/c we don't use them in the South, but there would be a lot more additions, too!!
    HAHAHAH, and my verification word is "lision"

     
  • At September 5, 2011 at 8:19 PM , Blogger ce'st moi said...

    BTW, did you know the "&" actually used to be a part of the alphabet? They (in the early 1800's) used to recite the alphabet "...X, Y, Z, and per se and." (x, y, z, and per se &). They were stating the character & in the context of "...X, Y, Z, and by itself and." Overtime, the slurring of "and per se and" (yes, a mispronunciation) became the word for the exact symbol of "&"...pronouncing it "ampersand". Just a little tidbit I happened across today. Pretty cool and interesting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home